- Strong inpatient and outpatient training in acute, subacute inpatient, and outpatient settings.
- Consultation service for ICU-level acute brain and spinal cord injured patients at Grady Memorial Hospital, the region’s premier level I trauma center and Atlanta’s only nationally verified center.
- Well balanced training with emphasis on procedural skills that will prepare you for any job after graduation.
- Our graduates consistently match into their first choice of fellowship and are competitive applicants in the job market due to a high level of comfort performing procedures, as well as managing higher acuity and medically complex patients.
- Spend 6 months training at the Shepherd Center, a Model Spinal Cord Injury Care System and consistently ranked among the top 10 best rehabilitation hospitals in the United States by U.S. News and World Report. Shepherd is also one of the few hospitals in the country with a Disorders of Consciousness program, allowing for treatment and rehabilitation of patients with very severe brain injury.
- Phenomenal pediatric rehabilitation exposure in dedicated in-hospital unit at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, where physiatry is the primary service. The rehab unit is within the acute hospital, lending itself to a higher acuity of patients with access to in-house neurosurgical care, pulmonary and critical care for patients requiring ventilatory support, endocrinology, and a variety of other specialties. The rotation encompasses both inpatient and outpatient exposure, which provides multi-specialty clinic experience in spina bifida, muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy, as well as ultrasound and EMG guided procedures for the treatment of spasticity.
- Transforaminal epidurals (all levels)
- Interlaminar epidurals (cervical)
- Spinal cord stimulator trials and implants
- Intra-articular facet injections (all levels)
- Medial branch blocks (all levels)
- Radiofrequency ablation (all levels)
- Genicular nerve ablation
- Occipital nerve ablation
- Non-image guided injections: Glenohumeral, subacromial, ankle, knee, greater trochanteric bursa, trigger points, carpal tunnel
- Ultrasound guided: glenohumeral, subacromial, knee, greater trochanteric bursa, hip intra-articular
- Fluoroscopically guided injections: hip intra-articular, sacroiliac joint
- Phenol neurolysis
- Botox injection with EMG and/or ultrasound guidance
- 300-350 NCS/EMG upon graduation
Platelet rich plasma, adipose stem cell, and bone marrow stem cell procedures. Recent 13 Million dollar grant awarded to the Emory Orthopedic and Spine Center with partnering institutions to research the use of stem cells for the treatment of arthritis. https://news.emory.edu/stories/2018/07/ortho_receives_stemcell_grant/index.html
- Sports Medicine (1 year)
- Interventional Pain (1 year)
- Pediatrics Rehabilitation (2 years)
- Palliative (1 year)