Dale C. Strasser, MD
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine
Comprehensive Integrated Inpatient Rehabilitation Program
Service Chief, Rehabilitation Medicine
Wesley Woods Geriatric Hospital
- BA, Vanderbilt University, 1976
- Pre-Med, University of Tennessee, 1984
- MD, Northwestern University, 1984
- Residency, Northwestern University, 1988
- Fellow in Arthritis & Orthopedic Rehabilitation, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, 1988
- Fellow in Geriatric Medicine, Northwestern University, 1990
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine
- American Geriatrics Society
- Association of Academic Physiatrists
- Physicians for a National Health Program
- Emory University School of Medicine The Light Bulb Award, 2014
- American Geriatrics Society Annual Meeting Best Poster in the Section Award, 2014
- Emory University Department of Rehabilitation Medicine Teacher of the Year, 2011
- American Congress of Rehabilitation Best Poster of the Conference, 2005
- Edward W. Lowman Award, 2002
- Atlanta Magazine Atlanta's Top Doctors, 2001
- Certificate of Excellence in Resident Education – special award, 1994
Dr Strasser studies rehabilitation treatment effectiveness with a focus on team functioning using observational and experimental designs. The development and testing of a conceptual model of treatment effectiveness informs and guides the research along with a related focus on the maintenance and promotion of function in the frail older adult.”
- Smits SJ, Bowden DE, Falconer JA, Strasser DC. Improving Medical Leadership and Teamwork: An Iterative Process. Leadership in Health Services. Leadersh Health Serv. 2014; 27(4): 299-315. doi:10.1108/LHS-02-2014-0010.
- Strasser DC, Burridge AB, Falconer JA, Uomoto JM, Herrin J. Toward Spanning the Quality Chasm: An Examination of Team Functioning Measures. Arch Phys Med Rehabli. 2014; 95(11): 2220-3. doi: 10.1016/j.apmr.2014.06.013.
- Ohtake PJ, Strasser DC, & Needham, DM. Translating research into clinical practice: The role of quality improvement in providing rehabilitation for people with critical illness. Phys Ther, 2013; 93(2): 128-33.
- Ohtake PJ, Strasser DC, Needham DM. (2012). Rehabilitation for people with critical illness: Taking the next steps. Phys Ther. 2012; 92(12), 1484-8.
- Strasser DC, Burridge AB, Falconer JA, Herrin J, Uomoto J. Measuring team process for quality improvement. Top Stroke Rehabil. 2010; 17(4): 282-293.
- Strasser DC. Unraveling the Conundrum of Quality. Top Stroke Rehabil. 2010; 17(4): 225-229.
- Katz PR, Burton JR, Drach GW, O’Leary JP, Strasser DC, Eisner J, et al. The Jahnigen Scholars Program: A Model for Faculty Career Development. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009; 57(12): 2324-2327.
- Strasser DC, Falconer JA, Stevens AB, Uomoto JM, Herrin J, Bowen SE, Burridge AG. Team Training and Stroke Rehabilitation Outcomes: a Cluster Randomized Rrial. Arch Phys Med Rehabli. 2008; 89(1): 10-5.
- Stevens AB, Strasser DC, Uomoto JM, Bowen SE, Falconer JA. Utility of Treatment Implementation Methods in a Clinical Trial with Rehabilitation Teams. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2007; 44(4): 537-546.
- Taylor LF, Whittington FJ, Strasser DC, Hennessey CH, Miler SW, Archea C. Gender Differences in Chemical Restraint Use in a Nursing Home: Patterns of Psychotropic Drug Prescribing. J Aging Pharmacotherapy. 2006; 13(2): 67-81.
- Lee J, Geller AI, Strasser DC. Analytical Review: Focus on Fall Screening Assessments. PMR. 2013; 5(7): 609-621.
- Geller AI, Nopkhun W, Dows-Martinez MN, Strasser DC. Polypharmacy and the Role of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation PMR. 2012; 4(3): 198-219.
- Strasser DC, Jones L, Leavitt, M. Physiatry and function: Common issues in adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. In Rubin and Crocker. Health Care for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities across the lifespan. 3rd Edition. (Rubin IL,Merrick J, Greydanus DE, and Patel DR eds) Dordrecht: Springer, 2014: Chapter 22.2.
- Geller A, Strasser D. Pharmacology: Polypharmacy. In Means K and Kortebein P. (eds). Geriatrics – Rehabilitation Quick Reference. New York: Demos Medical Publishing LLC; 2013: 238-240.
- Sinkiewicz M, Strasser D. Neurologic: Delirium. In Means K and Kortebein P. (eds). Geriatrics – Rehabilitation Quick Reference. New York: Demos Medical Publishing LLC; 2013: 148-150.
- Cabrita T, Strasser D. Gastrointestinal: Fecal Incontinence. In Means K and Kortebein P. (eds). Geriatrics – Rehabilitation Quick Reference. New York: Demos Medical Publishing LLC; 2013: 96 – 100.
- Tate J, Strasser D. Functional Decline: Frailty. In Means K and Kortebein P. (eds) Geriatrics – Rehabilitation Quick Reference. New York: Demos Medical Publishing LLC; 2013: 89-90.
- Strasser DC. Challenges and Opportunities for Quality Rehabilitation. In Flanagan, S. R., Zaretsky, H., & Moroz, A. Medical Aspects of Disability: A Handbook for the Rehabilitation Professional. 4th Edition. New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company, LLC; 2010.
- Strasser DC. Medical Considerations in the Rehabilitation of an Older Person. In Crews J and Whittington F (eds). Vision Loss in an Aging Society: A Multidisciplinary Perspective. American Foundation for the Blind; 2000: 109-131.
- Strasser DC, Chang RW. The Process and Outcomes of Team Care in Rheumatoid Arthritis; In Chang RW (ed). Rehabilitation of Persons with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Gaithersburg, NM: Aspen Publishers; 1996: 1-8.